We are all inclined to learn from the success of others and that’s good! Although, what we often overlook is the knowledge we have within ourselves and in the end, that’s what makes the most difference.
SEE YOUR WAY is a powerful statement. How often do you sit back and see the ways you can impact your program in a productive way? Yes, there are systems organizations follow to raise money. There are teams focusing on the mechanics and when the program is well-oiled success is achievable by sheer willpower.
Again I ask – what ways can you, alone, impact the program? This is when you look at the skills you possess AND the NATURAL abilities you were born with. Sometimes, skill and natural ability are one in the same. Sometimes, they are not the same at all!
- Who are you?
- What do people like about you?
- Where are you most-comfortable?
There is an exercise you are encouraged to do with an acquaintance. When raising money we approach people we do not know very well. We may think we do but really, we know what they share with us. An acquaintance sees you from the perspective of what you’ve sharing. A true friend is not recommended for this exercise because they are “in the know” if that makes sense. They have TMI – too much information – to be objective.
- Ask someone you’ve been talking with if they are willing to sit down with you for a brief meeting. This could be done over coffee/tea. 45 minutes is a good time frame.
- Let the person know you want to see if you’re really portraying who you are with the people you meet. Mention it could be two-way and you are also willing to share your perspective for them. It’s a new twist on marketing “self.”
- During the meeting, discuss topics around the three questions above. You can ask things like: Do you know what I’m passionate about? Why did we continue to talk after our initial introduction – is there something about my work that interests you? Are there areas about my work where I can be more clear? What do you feel my strengths are? Do you have suggestions on where I can better market myself and the work I do?
Make sure the conversation is two way and if the person wants to also hear your answers to the questions about themselves, you provide that opportunity.
As we think about ways we can be more productive in raising more money by increasing market share there is a very large personal component. SEE YOUR WAY of making things happen because it is integral to being successful.
SOAR offers programs to help you achieve your goal in raising money. If you are not seeing what you want via the website, please send an email to email@example.com
We are happy to share with you the ways people are finding success through our self-study courses and 1:1 networking meetings.
Learn more about SOAR’s programs here!