Have you ever asked people why they give? This can be a donation of time, money, or resources. It is crucial to know why a person gives if you’re looking for donations. It is also important to know why some people may avoid you!
The top reason a person gives, believe it or not, is because someone they know has asked them to give and they want to help. Simple and sweet!
The next eight reasons for why people give, according to experience:
- Usually a person or someone they know is affected by what the mission is helping. They donate with a feeling to alleviate need.
- People give because of what they get in return. It could be a good feeling, tax benefit, recognition, or some sort of driving force they achieve for another mission
- People often feel emotionally moved by someone’s story. It becomes a personal connection and they have a desire to help
- A person wants a sense of closeness to a community or group
- There’s a desire to memorialize someone
- Charitable family traditions – it’s the way a person was brought up
- A person wants to leave a legacy
- The feeling of being fortunate and wanting to help others
Going back to the TOP reason about why people give; people asking people they know AND getting the donation.
The reality is – there’s a downside. People get tired of being asked again and again to give. The sense of obligation soon subsides and a person being asked begins to avoid the person asking. Take a simple test:
- Are your calls going unanswered, again and again?
- Do you feel the notes you send get lost in the mail?
- Do you leave a lot of voice messages, which are rarely returned?
Answering yes to any of these questions shows there’s a problem. We can help. There’s a quick remedy. Read on.
Develop a fundraising system, which does not rely on the same people giving over and over again because the group you ask continues to grow AND you know them. When you ask – they will give!
At SOAR we are willing to share proven tips with our network for FREE. Become part of our network, Get Free Tips – click here!
SOAR trains in Colorado, and on location. Our goal is to have everyone we work with succeed quickly and efficiently. There’s a workshop this summer in Colorado. Coaches, consultants and fundraisers are included as everyone learns a system for achieving financial success. See more – click here! Scholarships are also available.